Saturday, January 21, 2012

Competency Reflection - Week 1 Part 1


As I reflect on the changes in my Self Assessment, it is apparent that over the past several months the experiences outlined in this program have provided opportunities for professional growth.  I had a different level of competency in all ten areas of the reflection, with significant growth in competency 4, 8, and 10.  The competencies that included aspects related to my current position in my district changed the least, and yet there were still some areas of increased competency.
Competency four is about working with the board and achieving district goals. Over the past four weeks we have transitioned to a new superintendent and although the coursework in this program opened the door to a better perception in this competency, our new superintendent has emphasized areas within this competency on a regular basis.  We have looked at short and long term aspects of our district’s vision and have begun the process of communicating this outside of the context of school district personnel.  We have also touched base with the political representation locally and within our region by attending a grass roots meeting in Amarillo.
Competency eight is also one of the ten that showed significant growth through the investigations and activities we performed in our course work.  Specifically, the budgeting activities in our finance class opened my eyes to many additional aspects of school business. Although, I cannot rate myself as “S” in most areas of competency eight, I could move my rating from “I’s” to mostly “C’s.”  Our business manager has been instrumental in learning about budget planning and forecasting.  Also our new superintendent has increased the level of staff evaluation and allocating resources to the proper aspects of school finance.  
Competency ten encompasses federal requirements, organization, and decision making in a positive context.  I must admit that as I have worked in my current position this competency seemed to always be at my fingertips, but without a high aspect of understanding.  As I reflect, I believe it was the interviews with my superintendent that made the largest impact on this change.  I was able to ask hard questions, and in turn receive straight answers concerning leadership, decision making, and change.  I learned that change in school districts does not happen in a flash, but rather over time with careful consideration and specific attention to the needs of students.
Overall, I have found growth in most aspects of superintendency competencies.  It is really interesting to reflect and see that growth.  What an incredible journey.

1 comment:

  1. Joe, that is good news to hear that your new district leader has spoken with you in regards to district leadership possibilities. Kudos to you! As an assistant principal I too look forward to participating in more difficult administrative experiences before I have the "honor" of leading/directing them. I've benefitted from reading your posts throughout the courses. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete