Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Goals


Position Goal:
Like some of my cohort members have posted, I am not sure if I am ready to be a superintendent, but in the past four weeks that has changed.  We have transitioned to a new superintendent in Childress, and although our past superintendent was a great leader, our new superintendent is close to the opposite in leadership style.  With that aside, he has already talked with me about career goals, possibly being moved up into an assistant superintendent position and in turn adopt a few more personnel responsibilities to increase my scope of administrative experiences.  We have also talked about accountability and evidence based decisions, which speaks to my leadership style.  I think this will be key in evaluating my desire to be “the” man in charge.  From my current point of view, I lack some experiences, but the prospect of being exposed to valuable administrative experiences without the title or responsibility will be highly influential on my career goals.  I would not change a thing about my current career path as curriculum and federal programs director currently, with the possibility to transition to assistant superintendent, and maybe in the future, superintendent of a school district.

Leadership Goal:
As a seasoned educator and now an experienced district administrator, I have had the opportunity to extend my reach for educational influence.  If I were going to sum up my motivation for leadership in education, it would be to reach more students through effective, ethical, student focused decisions.  Through this internship I have been able to see the overall big picture of school district administration.  For me, that big picture begins with the board and is communicated through the superintendent to the campus administrators. Without this effective relationship direction is missing and the focus is lost.  I hope to be a part of connecting a district firmly to their vision, creating by collaboration and moving an entire district in a positive direction.  It is exciting.  It is why I became an educator, to positively impact students.

No comments:

Post a Comment