Saturday, September 24, 2011

Week 5 Part 3 - Final Reflection


As I look back on this class, it is abundantly clear that growth has been a huge part of the journey.  I will openly admit that the struggle to locate and sometimes understand this information has made a lasting impression.  Not that any other class so far was easy or not a struggle, but for me it is that struggle that solidifies knowledge.  Also the application has been tremendous.  I find myself regularly asking myself, “How would I handle this as a superintendent?”

Notable mentions for the past five weeks include exposure to the template.  It is so complicated and yet so influential in budget planning.  Another includes the group papers.  I loved these assignments.  Our group brought several different perspectives and their insight on economy of scale, WADA, and tax rates was very helpful.  Economy of scale actually came to the forefront of conversation in my district in regards to a Coop for Technology support, Maintenance, and Transportation.  Due to the central location of our school district and that within 30 miles in all four of the major directions there are smaller districts, we could actually save everyone some budget dollars with this concept.  A great idea, and a conversation I never would have initiated without my group and their commitment to good academic work.

Lastly, the first lecture’s description on the history of school finance was enlightening in regards to the Target Revenue from 2005-06.  This symptom of legislation has greatly impacted school districts across the state, and the results are not the original intent of the law.  Not to mention the law also created an incredibly detrimental funding situation, one that currently is being discussed in three separate lawsuits against the State of Texas.  Our superintendent told me that history shows that one of the suits will make it as priority and nearly 700 school districts in Texas will join.  Then the results of the suit will not come to local districts for anywhere from 3-5 years.  That is an incredibly long time, but the good news is that districts at least will have a legal voice in a suit against a very inequitable situation.

What a great class.

No comments:

Post a Comment